Saturday, November 07, 2009

So Fucking Angry

Last night blew my mind. I am still steaming this morning about what happened last night--I don't think I've been this angry since I was an angry young teenager in high school. Hopefully by writing about last night I'll release some of my anger, but I am going to leave the part about the police out and let you try to figure out where the police fits into this story.

---

Friday night's story really begins last Monday. Mary Ann sent out an email to ten of her friends, inviting them over for a few rounds of Settlers of Catan. I hadn't seen this group of friends in a while, so I chimed in with an affirmative. On Wednesday, I realized that Josh would be coming up from Tacoma to attend the UW Volleyball match with me, and afterwards he'd probably be interested in playing some Catan. The original invite seemed somewhat exclusive, so I asked MA if it would be okay to bring Josh along, or if that would screw up the numbers for playing Catan. She said it would be fine to have another person along.

Friday morning rolls around, and I am substituting for my old class I student taught for last year. I check my email during lunch and find an email from MA, saying that the party has been moved from 7:30pm to 10pm. It seems a little late to make a 2.5 hour change to a party involving a dozen people, but the time change works for me, because Josh and I weren't going to show up until 9-9:30 due to the volleyball game. I also have an email from Josh, wondering if his roommate, Derrick, can join us. I see that MA is online, and shoot her a quick message asking about Derrick, and she replies that Derrick joining would be great.

Josh comes up a little before 7pm and we make it down to the volleyball match about halfway through the first game. All three games are amazing, and UW sweeps Stanford in three straight games. I believe both teams are in the top 10 national rankings, so the level of play was very high, also, Stanford handed UW one of its two loses on the year earlier down in CA. Most of the points consisted of UW just hammering the ball and Stanford making some amazing saves to get the ball back--but you don't win by just getting the ball back, and eventually UW would find an opening in Stanford's defense.

We get back to my house at 9:15pm and we call Derrick to tell him to head up to Seattle, and I call MA and leave a voice mail asking if it is alright if we come over a few minutes early since the volleyball game is over. Derrick makes his way up to Seattle and Josh and I wait 15 minutes, then head over to Mary Ann's. Josh and I arrive at Mary Ann's, and I still haven't heard from her, and her apartment doesn't have any lights on. This is 15 minutes to party time.

About five minutes later I get a text from Mary Ann, saying that they are at a restaurant and she will give me instructions shortly. Um... what? I send her a text back, saying Josh and I are at her house already. Josh and I walk around in the rain, trying to find a bar close to Mary Ann's house that we can crash at until the party arrives, and we end up getting back in Josh's car and back-tracking a mile to a bar we saw on our drive over. As soon as we step into the bar, I get a call from Eddie, who is with Mary Ann.

Eddie says that the group is at a restaurant in Bothell (30 minutes north), and they will probably be at the restaurant for another 45 minutes, and then they decided to switch the location of the party to Tom's house, because they are all already up in Bothell. What. the. FUCK? Are you serious? It is 10pm right now, and the party is supposed to start, and you are changing the time AGAIN and the location to 30 minutes away?!

Derrick rolls in about five minutes later, and I give him the bad news. The bar we found ended up being one of the coolest I've been to in a while, with a black IPA on tap, and rugby games on the televisions. The three of us were pissed about being left in the lurch regarding the party (especially because Derrick drove 45 minutes to Seattle specifically for the party), but we decided to head to my house and then I would drive us all up to Bothell to meet up with the rest of the gang.

On our way up to Bothell, we make an impromptu stop at Dick's drive-in, because we're all a bit hungry and nothing sounds better than Dick's fries, a chocolate shake, and a Deluxe when you are hungry and it is between 11pm-2am. I get a call from Eddie when I'm eating my fries, still waiting for Josh to receive his order. Eddie says they are about to start playing and he wants to know what time I'll be there. I tell him they can start playing, and we'll be there in about 20 minutes. He says OK.

As I'm driving from Dick's to Tom's house up in Bothell, I feel my phone vibrate a few times, but I don't like to talk on the phone and drive at the same time. I pull into Tom's apartment complex and I go to give Eddie a call, telling him we are here, when I see that I've received a text from Eddie (as close to verbatim as I can remember):

"Hey Chris, I think we might need to reschedule game night. We didn't realize there were more people with you, and we don't have room for three more people. So sorry, dude."

I read this text as we're exiting the car, 20 feet from Tom's apartment. Are you fucking serious? Really?! I get a call from Eddie as I'm literally laughing at the text he sent, and he asks where I'm at. I say parked outside Tom's apartment.

Eddie and Tom come out and say they are sorry, but thought it was only me coming up, and that they don't have room for three people. They say they've already started the game of Catan. Tom says he and his girlfriend have to leave at 8am the next morning and that they can't make a late night out of tonight.

I couldn't fucking believe it. I thought these guys were friends? Derrick, Josh and I just wanted to hang out and play a game or two, and now, at their doorstep, they are telling us we aren't welcome? Why the fuck did Eddie say "OK" 20 minutes ago when I told him WE are coming over? Mary Ann's car is parked outside, did she forget the email and chat conversations we had EARLIER THAT DAY about Josh and Derrick coming up to Seattle?!?!?

When I realized that they were serious, I couldn't even stand to look at them. We left, and I was so incredibly angry. There were a dozen things I was angry about, and it all reflected around Mary Ann and Eddie. Why? Why would they treat me like such garbage? I could understand that there was a lot of miscommunication, but even with the miscommunication, they had so many opportunities to give me a heads up or let me know what the real situation was. They strung me along the whole evening. The only message I received from Mary Ann was "We're eating at a restaurant up near Tom's house, you will get instructions soon" and this was 15 minutes before the party was supposed to start at her place. Tom and his girlfriend waking up at 8am the next day was bullshit, because they just started a game that would take two hours to finish, so they'd be up for another hour and a half at least, plenty of time for us to hang out and then head home.

I don't know. I've never been treated like that before, and the fact that one of those people is my housemate, makes me really rethink my living situation.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger DrChako said...

I don't doubt your anger and maybe it got lost in translation, but it sounds like a simple clusterfuck as opposed to a reason to be wicked pissed.

And I really can't tell where the cops come in unless you clocked him on the street corner after you got the news.

Need someone to bail you out of jail?

-DrC

12:39 PM  
Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

Imma gonna guess speeding home you got pulled over? Sucks that they screwed you over for the night. Sort of agree with Chacko that it's not "that" serious but you might be a tight ass so go ahead and be angry as hell.

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home