Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Times Are A Changin'

Taking up most of my waking and sleeping moments over the past week have been substitute teaching, my lady friend moving to Jordan for 10 months in a few days, and Pearl Jam.

Here is a track called "The Fixer", which has been out on the radio waves for a month or two:



There is also a making of the CD YouTube clip, but embedding was disabled by the band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hauSDYyJ6ck

A big reason why Pearl Jam has been taking up my thoughts is that I broke down and bought two tickets to the Monday show at Key Arena. The show on Monday kicks off their world tour for the new CD. I've only seen them once live before, and it is far and away the best concert I have ever been to. When I first heard of the Seattle show at Key Arena, I was a bit disappointed in the venue, but like my housemate says, "If my favorite band was playing a show in Seattle, I'd go see them."

Jordan lady friend is joining me for the show. We're in a pretty weird spot right now. About a month ago, we finally discussed her move to Jordan for 10 months, and we decided to break things off. A big weight was lifted from the relationship, as things were starting to get a little serious, as she was tossing around three words that I did not reciprocate. With a foreseeable end of the relationship in sight (her move), we have started having more fun, but there is some hollowness to it. I think everything will work out for the best, but breaking up amiably is hard to do, and I'm not sure I'll ever get used to it.

Ironically, my housemate looks to be starting his first relationship since I have known him. There was a bounce in his step today, and the two of them are both in his room right now with a mumble of laughter here and there. Beginnings are so much fun. I love where the two of them are at right now. In the first few days of a relationship, where the two of you can literally be in a room for an entire day and have no desire to be anywhere else. All of your attention and all of your desire is confined within a 10'x10' room, yet the room doesn't seem confining because there is so much to learn about each other.

Substitute teaching last week was a lot of fun. I am struggling on whether I should write anonymously about my teaching experience, or if I should start a very public blog to join the online teaching community of teacher-bloggers. I am leaning towards doing both. Writing about the juicy details of subbing seems like a lot more fun, and might be fodder for this blog. I could also start a professional-style blog concerning more of the theoretical and practical aspects of teaching, and not the unprofessional juicy details.

My Friday assignment was canceled at the school when I showed up. The secretary said sorry about the mix up and called the substitute office and got me paid 4 hours for my trouble. I moto'd back home and got paid to play WoW Friday morning, then housemate and I hiked Lake Serene and jumped in the often snowed over lake. On the way back home we stopped at this Reptile BBQ along US-2 and it was amazing, I'll definitely be stopping there again either this winter or next summer--hopefully sooner than later.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger DrChako said...

Professional blogging sounds like work for no money. Keep it private so we can read about the hot moms and odd students.

-DrC

3:52 PM  
Blogger OhCaptain said...

I bought the new Pearl Jam bright and early Sunday morning, The Fixer is a cool song, but I'm finding myself really liking a few others a lot more.

I saw Pearl Jam only once, one of the first Lollapoloozas. They were definitely a highlight of the day. Living in radio hell, I only knew about this album and song from blip.fm and facebook. So sad.

Getting paid to play games rocks.

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home