Sunday, December 30, 2007

2008: Mind, Body, Spirit

Over the past few months, I've been trying to live a balanced life--focusing on my mind, body and spirit. It hasn't gone very well. I've pretty much just sat around playing on the computer.

Sitting around and playing on the computer is fun, but it usually doesn't benefit my mind, body or spirit. Sometimes it tests my mind and rejuvenates my spirit, but usually it just dulls my mind, weakens my body and crushes my spirit. Poker, WoW, and TF2 all come to mind. Reading people's blogs, writing my own blog, and discovering new, funny, amazing and uplifting videos on YouTube are some things I think are pluses in the "sitting in front of the computer" column.

Mind

My mind is going to be tested in 2008, I have no doubts about this one. My first class begins on January 2nd, and I'll be in school until winter break. In addition to school, I would really like to read and write more, but I know any reading parameters I try to set I won't be able to keep, so why bother. As for writing, I am going to try and get something up on my writing blog at least once a week. I might not write every post, but hopefully I will have 60 or so posts on Fun-With-Words by the end of 2008.

Body

I'm a firm believer in the idea that you only get one body, so you might as well make the most of it. Looking at me, you'd never guess. I'm not going to get overweight anytime soon, but I don't like the feeling of being weak. Barely being able to do ten push-ups just doesn't make sense to me, it seems like I am wasting the best years of my body. I've let myself get plenty weak time and time again, then I go on a fitness kick until I get fitnessed out, and let myself get weak again. This time, my method to bodily improvement is to work up a sweat at least every other day. The two exceptions are when I'm sick or injured. Working up a sweat gives me an opportunity to do a wide variety of activities, so I shouldn't get bored, and I don't have an every day goal set, so I won't be drowning in my own sweat.

Spirit

My bane. Not really, but my spirit comes from weird places, not religion. I think going on an overnight hike out in the Olympics or the Cascades recharges my spirit for months at a time. Going on a late-night motorcycle ride through the city recharges my spirit. Heck, even just riding a motorcycle invigorates me. Being in a classroom, whether a student or an observer (and most likely as a teacher as well), makes my spirit soar. Sitting at home, bundled in blankets and reading a good book also puts me in great spirits. Balance is the key to my spiritual well-being.

So there you have it.

2008: Hopefully more reading, more writing, more sweating and more balance.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home