Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Coaching is a go

This JV Coaching job isn't going to be easy. I've got about 20 new tryouts that are vying for about 4 open spots on the team. Ouch! The whole goal is to get the JV players lots of competitive tennis under their belts, and in turn improve to contend for a varsity spot next year. There are a dozen JV returners from last year who probably aren't going to make the nearly-full varsity team, and there are four really good new freshman that might even bump down some varsity players from last year to JV.

I feel bad for a lot of the kids, because when I was playing tennis at RHS, they would have definitely made JV, and possibly even varsity. But this year our team looks to be a real competitive one, and they probably won't make the cut at the end of this week.

I am looking forward to the coaching gig once we get past the cuts though, because they all have plenty of room to improve, and I think I will be able to help them get to that next level. Whether it is footwork, forehands, backhands, second serves or their return game--there are holes in everyone's game that I've seen so far, and it is going to be fun to try and mend those weak spots in the players' games. I think our JV team will do amazingly well this year too, with the amount of talent I've seen so far. Winning isn't really a big part of my job, getting them prepped to win at the varsity level is what it is all about.

Tyler and I are going to head over to Sand Point tonight to go play some racquetball, then head back here for some hot tub therapy. Living at home ain't all that bad.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home