Monday, August 07, 2006

And they call me Mr. Ed

After reading up on the blogger shenanigans in Vegas a month ago, I had an interest in finding some HORSE games online. I heard Full Tilt had some HORSE SNG’s, but never got around to making a deposit. I’ve been playing on Stars exclusively, if for nothing more than the great customer service and multitude of players.

Last night I decided to make a deposit at Full Tilt after reading XA Kid’s blog (a frequent poster at PokerTips.org). He likes to play the heads up HORSE SNG’s, but I decided to just play the 8-person SNG’s.

I go to make the deposit and find out that not only did I already have a Full Tilt Account, but it still has money in it! I love finding money!

I waited for a HORSE SNG to fill up and took down a few Hold em’ and Omaha Hi/Lo pots… and then… the dreaded Razz approached. I have loathed this game for a while now, and was sure it would lead to a quick exit for me in this SNG.

I don’t think I played a single Razz hand, but I did notice that there was some pretty interesting betting going on. Players betting with Q’s and K’s on their board. I figured if I could get a hand, it would pay off nicely. I’ve been burned by this before with A23 as my first 3 cards, pairing two of those three, then dropping a K and Q on me as my next four cards.

I thought better of it, and just folded my way into Stud.

This is when I realized that I had no clue how to play Stud either.

Crap.

Folded most of those hands, but to be fair to myself, the best starting hand I was dealt was AQ3. Folded my way to Stud Hi/Lo, one of my new favorite games.

I stomped down hard on the gas through the end of O(maha Hi/Lo) and was the chip leader with six left going into R(azz) S(tud). Basically just folded for two more orbits again. Found myself as one of the two short stacks with four remaining going into the H round, where the strategy of playing the other short stack became more important than my cards or opponents.

Squeaked into the money, and then busted a few hands into O.

Played another HORSE tourney afterwards and was one of the two big stacks when it got down to 4, and I finished 2nd after a nice beat.

Played *another* this morning and bowed out 3rd again.

I’m definitely not playing these for huge financial gain right now (I think third place nets $2.50). But I really like the ability to mix up the game. I also like the practice in the multiple formats, as I realize that my Razz and Stud are weaker games. I don’t want to abandon them, I would much rather practice and make them stronger parts of my poker arsenal.

The similarities in the games are very interesting as well. R, S, E all have some of your information shown, whereas H and O are less informative. I have played a lot more *a LOT more* H and O than R, S and E, so I find myself much more comfortable betting, trapping and bluffing in the HO games. Some players build up nice stacks in the RSE rounds, when I know they don’t have the cards all the time, but they have an Ace up, and my 3, J, K just isn’t worth the call. It will be a fun challenge to get better at all the different types of poker involved in these HORSE tourneys!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home