Tuesday, February 03, 2009

A Busy Week

Well shit, a lot has happened in the past week. I will channel my inner business-side and prepare a bullet list.

--Went skiing twice at Stevens
--Rock Climbed
--South Park Marathon
--Led two rounds of MASH in my cohort class during lecture via google group chat
--Paid up on a dinner and movie bet, for being outlasted at Fantasy Football
--Had a kick-ass super bowl experience
--Wowed my master teacher with another fun and interactive math lesson
--Getting ready to host the next Seattle Home Game!

So the math lessons last week confirmed my hypothesis of roller-coaster teaching. Wednesday's lesson was terrible, and Thursday's was amazing. I'm starting to pick up on what makes lessons terrible or amazing, and I'm trying to keep the lessons as active as possible for the students, while still keeping the learning going. Some days, like Thursday, it all works out and the kids have fun while learning something new.

I went skiing up at Stevens both Saturday and Sunday. Saturday I carpooled up with J and Sam, and we met a few more of their friends up at the pass. All of their friends are national and world-level ultimate frisbee players, which means they are all incredibly athletic. One of the ladies in the group turns out to also be a former member of the Canadian Air Force, AKA the Canadian Aerials Ski Team. I've never met an aerialist. She has got it going on, and we hit it off. I got her digits, since she's also got a pass to Stevens, and we hope to go up many more times this season. As the conversations continued, she finally asked, "How old are you?" I told her my age and she said, "Oh." Probably not a good thing. I think she is a few years older, but that ain't no thang, baby! I hope the hot tub and house-sitting for parent's for the next two months will offset the age gap.

Right after skiing, J, Sam and I headed to Marc's to pay up on our bet. Marc and Sam were the only two of us to make the playoffs in our fantasy league, and Sam was too much of a pussy to join in our bet this year, so Marc won without winning a playoff game, so lame. Marc decided to redeem his dinner and a movie by choosing AAA Chinese Buffet--an all you can eat Chinese buffet--and then going to watch "My Bloody Valentine" in 3D. I snuck beers into both the all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet and the movie.

Sneaking the beer into the buffet was much harder than the movie theater. I borrowed J's car keys with a bottle opener and took a plastic cup into the men's room with me. Luckily for me, the urinals had little curtains separating each urinal for privacy, so after I finished my business, I took the keys to the bottle of beer and tried to open it. The fucking things kept jingling, and there was a dude in the stall next to me, that must have been wondering what the fuck was going on. When I finally got the lid started, I let out a big sigh, "AAAaaahhh" to cover the fizz from the beer as I opened it. I left the beer bottle on the urinal, washed my hands, then resumed eating dinner with my beer. My time spent in the men's bathroom had me come to the realization that the new worst job in the world would be men's bathroom attendant at an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet. There were some nasty sounds and smells in that bathroom.

My Bloody Valentine in 3D was terrible. The best part was the naked girl stomping off, boobs jiggling in 3D. The 3D ads in the Super Bowl the next day just freaked me out--is 3D really here for good? I don't think so.

Sunday at Stevens was just Kristy and I, and we intended to go early and leave early in time to watch the Superbowl. Apparently we were not alone, because the mountain was packed until about 1pm, then it was empty. We actually stayed around later than I thought, and ended up getting 20 runs in. My knees were beyond shot by the end of two consecutive days of hard skiing (laps on double diamonds are fun, but god damn!).

I dropped off Kristy at her place and went straight over to the Montlake House and caught the end of the 2nd quarter and the huge 100yd interception return and Larry "Big Hands" Fitzgerald attempt at a touchdown-saving tackle that turned into receiving a knee in the groin... OUCH! The party was a blast, with a handful of guys and a couple football-savvy ladies (so hot). We played some liar's dice afterward's, and I probably should have won, but botched a call when we got down to 3 players. I had the game in the bag!

Yesterday, I saw enough of my cohortmates on google chat that I started up a group chat with about five of them. By the end of math class, we had about a dozen people in group chat playing MASH. It made math class amazingly more fun, and I think Natalie wound up married to Newt Gingrich, living in a shack under the Viaduct, with octuplets, and riding a magic carpet to her zookeeper job.

Today, I got back from morning class and went to Costco with my mom, both for her trip to Arizona with pops, and also to make sure I don't die while they are away. We stocked up on the essentials: Beer, wine, and mac & cheese. After Costco, I hit the climbing wall and finally got a few problems I have been working on for months, so that was a huge boost to my climbing esteem!

Seattle Area Home Game is still on for this Saturday!!! Be there or be square. That's right, 90 degree corners, equal sides and all.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Shrike said...

I am planning to attend. Please drop me an e-mail which is linked from my blog.

Cheers!

-PL

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home