Thursday, October 02, 2008

Survivor, Surviving

The Vice Presidential debate is going on right now, but I'm glued to the On Demand commercial-free 2hr premier of Survivor from last week. What does this say about me and my patriotism? Meh. I'm more worried about the election than excited. I know which candidate I'm voting for, because the most important thing to me is US relations with the rest of the world. I could give a flying fuck whether our economy is in shambles if we continue waging war around the world painting a larger and larger target on our backs. Our society can't possibly survive with that attitude.

And yes, I'm the one watching a high definition television, typing on my laptop in the safety of a centrally-heated house. I'm weak, I'll admit it. Give me a month of free time and I'll likely get nothing productive done. I might gain a few levels in WoW, and that is about it. But when my back is against the wall--watch out. In a very convoluted way, I think I relate well to my country. We haven't really been challenged for a while now, and we've gotten to the point where the average American really hasn't changed their everyday routine even though we have been in a war for five years, are in the middle of an economic crisis, and our country is the rich kid most everyone despises.

Relate where we are now to where our country has been with our back against the wall, notice any difference? Remember any bombs? How close are we to having our backs against the wall again?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home