Thursday, September 20, 2007

Down with the Sickness

Last night was the first noticeably chilly night for me in Seattle. I tossed my sleeping bag on top of my covers, and quickly fell asleep in a cozy cocoon of sheets, blankets and the sleeping bag on top. This morning was no fun though. I awoke just before 6am in a bit of a sweat, then had trouble getting back to sleep. The alarm clock woke me up just before 8am, and by the roughness in the back of my throat, I already knew the flu was going to get me.

On the way to school, I stopped by Safeway and picked up some Airborne, which I really should have gotten yesterday. I felt like something might be coming on after tennis practice yesterday, and the beer with Sara probably wasn't the smartest way to fend off a flu... nor playing racquetball. I only lasted one class at Eckstein, after sweating on my walk to school, then about an hour later getting the chills. I've never sweated on the walk to school before, so I had my reservations about how long I would last observing today. I decided to take it easy, because of the tennis match against Juanita this afternoon. When I got home from Eckstein, I promptly put on pajamas and crawled back into bed.

Three hours later, I woke up and decided getting some food in me would be a good idea before the tennis match. What better food than spicy Indian to thwart the flu?? I cooked that up, and it did the job. I'm not feeling 100% now, but at the tennis match I was fine doing everything I normally do. The match didn't actually happen, because the Juanita team got dropped off at Lower Woodland instead of the Laurelhurst courts, and neither team had transportation. They eventually arrived at Laurelhurst two hours late, but by that time I had sent the majority of my team home.

The guys decided to play Graveyard for Butts Up to see which team would win the match. Graveyard is a fun game where you have two teams on opposite sides of the net, where each hit moves you to the back of the line. If you miss, you sit on the court at the service line. If your whole team is sitting, you lose. When you are sitting, you can swing at balls, and if you connect and get the ball onto the other side of the court, you are back in the game (much like catching a ball in dodge-ball brings a teammate back from the sideline). If you miss, the person who's turn it is has to sit on the service line. Playing for "Butts Up" means that the winning team gets to serve one ball each at the opposing team, who lines up on the service line, turns around and presents their ass to be hit. Good times. RHS lost the first game, won the second game, and had 3 people left alive to Juanita's one, but a few timely shots from the graveyard, and Juanita stormed back from the dead to win!

I'm planning on getting quite a bit of sleep tonight. Sleep, lots of water, tea, Indian Food, and Airborne should hopefully do the trick on this cold...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home